Thursday, April 13, 2017

Access to Education

          I have a passion for advocating for others, plain and simple. During my time at the University of Arkansas I have had the privilage of work with numerous non-profit organizations in the Northwest Arkansas area. The first I would love to discuss is Students for Refugees. We work with Canopy NWA to advocate for refugee resettlement to NWA. As part of the student organization, we are in the process of planning a Mock Refugee Camp to bring awareness of what it is like to live in a refugee camp. A large part of the camp is showing our community the kinds of struggles that a person might face upon their arrival, lack of basic necessities and resources, and the daunting reality that they could be resettled in another nation. Although a majority of refugees simply live in the camps until the termoil in their country has ended most spend on average 17 years waiting in a camp. 
          The second organization I would like to discuss is 2nd Milk. This non-profit seeks to feed malnourished children and orphans in Malawi and Kenya. I am lucky enough to have joined the organization right before their 2nd birthday when they were just granted permission to work in Kenya. 2nd Milk is close to my heart because I someday home to work with girls and women in order to provide them the necessary resources that allow them to attend a primary education. The education of women has numerous benefits for their families, communities, economy, and the world. Being a part of 2nd Milk and Students For Refugees has given me the opportunity to grow in my leadership abilities, interpersonal skills, and passion for helping others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Access to Education

          I have a passion for advocating for others, plain and simple. During my time at the University of Arkansas I have had the privilag...